Our mission as Stake PBC is to help Shareowners (“you”) advocate for environmental and social issues among the funds and companies (“Companies”) in which you own shares.
- How to contact us if you have questions
- The information that Stake collects from you in any form, including when you interact with the Website
- How we collect, use and disclose the information we receive, including sharing that information with third parties
- How we store and secure information.
“Companies” are corporations that are publicly traded on stock markets or Asset Managers that manage mutual funds and/or ETFs.
“Shareowners” are persons that own shares in companies and that sign up on the Website to use our Services.
“Asks” are an informal petition that Shareowners or Campaigners create to support an environmental and/or social issue.
“Campaigners” are non-profit organizations that partner with Stake to achieve the goals of their environmental and/or social issues.
“Champions” are Asset Managers that communicate Asks directly to Company management.
“Financial Advisors” are Registered Investment Advisors, typically carrying Series 65 credentials, who subscribe to Stake for annual services that help them to communicate with their clients.
Information We Collect
Information you Provide Us
We collect information you voluntarily provide us when you use the Website. This information may include:
- Account Information. To create an account as a Shareowner, you must provide an email address and password. Your email is not public. We store your user account preferences and settings.
- Content you submit. We collect the content you submit to us. This includes the Asks that you create, including saved drafts, the comments you make, and any messages you send through the Website. Your content may include text, links, and images.
- Fund Information. With your consent, when you connect the Website with your online brokerage firm, we collect information such as the companies where you own shares, and how many shares you own. This information is used on the Website when you support an Ask, so that we can represent to the world that Asks come from verified shareholders of the respective funds and companies. We also store an encrypted, unique account identifier to ensure that multiple Shareowners do not connect to the same brokerage account. The unencrypted information is never stored. We do not collect payment information such as credit cards or bank accounts.
- Actions you take. We collect information about the actions you take on the Website. This includes your interaction with Asks, such as voting and commenting. This also includes your interactions with other users, such as following or messaging.
- When you Communicate with Us. You may choose to provide other information directly to us. For example, when you suggest a feature or report a bug, or otherwise communicate with us.
Information you Provide Us
When you use or access the Website, we collect information that includes:
- Log and Usage Data. We may log information when you access and use the Website. This may include your IP address, browser type, operating system, referral URLs, device information, pages visited, links clicked, user interactions, hardware settings, and search terms.
- Information Collected from Cookies. We may receive information from cookies, which are pieces of data your browser stores and sends back to us when making requests. We use this information to improve your experience, understand user activity, and improve the quality of the Website. For example, we store and retrieve information about your preferred language and other settings.
- Information Collected from Integrations. We may receive information about you from third-party websites that integrate with the Website. For example, like many websites, we use Google Analytics to get a better understanding of our audience..
How we Use Information
We use information about you to:
- Provide, maintain, and improve the Website
- Personalize your experience because your information helps us to better respond to your individual needs
- Research and develop new services
- Help protect the safety of the Website and our users, which includes blocking suspected spammers, addressing abuse, and enforcing the Terms of Service
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts, and other support and administrative messages or to otherwise communicate with you about the use of the Website
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with our Services
- Address any claim or dispute related to your use of the Website, or as otherwise allowed by applicable law.
Legal Basis for Using Your Personal Information
We will only use your personal information as permitted by law. Under most circumstances, we will use your personal information for the following permissible reasons:
- to perform the contract we are about to enter into or have entered into with you (e.g. when we provide you Services)
- to carry out our legitimate interests provided that your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests (e.g. so Stake can carry out its mission)
- when you provide consent (e.g. when you request that we collect information about you from your online brokerage firm, or when you request to receive newsletters, alerts, or other communications from us; you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time by contacting us)
- to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation
How Information About You is Shared
When you use the Website, certain information may be shared with other users and the public, as follows.
- When you create an Ask, and then publish it, the content of that Ask will be public.
- When you support an Ask, your shares in the Company add to the tally of ‘shares supporting’ the Ask. Though the progress bar numbers are public, visitors to the website will not be able to see any information about you in particular, such as your name and the number of shares you particularly contributed.
- If you choose post a comment alongside your support of the Ask as a Shareowner, visitors to the Website will be able to see only the content of your comment, and the nickname associated with your account.
- Anonymized, aggregated statistics about Shareowner activities may be reported to other users or potential users of Stake. These statistics must not be able to reasonably identify any individual. For example, Campaigners may wish to know how many people supported their campaigns, and the top issues of those people.
- If you choose to connect with your Financial Advisor through Stake, your Financial Advisor may access information about your activities on Stake so as to help you better achieve your goals for social + environmental impact through your investments.
- We may offer social sharing features or other integrated tools for Shareowners that let you share content or actions you take on the Website with other media. These are optional tools; you only use them if you want to. Your use of these features enables the sharing of certain information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the third party that provides the social sharing feature. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the third parties that provide these social sharing features (e.g., Tumblr, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter).
We will not share, sell, or give away of our users’ personal information to third parties, unless one of the following circumstances applies:
- To comply with the law. We may share information (and will attempt to provide you with prior notice, to the extent legally permissible) in response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request, including, but not limited to, meeting national security or law enforcement requirements
- To enforce our policies and rights. We may share information if we believe your actions are inconsistent with our Terms of Service, Stake policies, or to protect the rights, property, and safety of ourselves and others
- With other users, with your consent. We share certain information among Shareowners, Campaigners, Champions and Financial Advisors. For example, if you follow a Campaigner, they will be able to send messages to you through the Website but will not have direct access to your email. If you sign up for the Website with your Financial Advisor, your Financial Advisor will be able to see your activities on the Website and communicate with you through the Website to improve the quality of services they can provide to you.
- With our partners. We may share information with vendors, consultants, and other service providers (but not with advertisers and ad partners) who need access to such information to carry out work for us. The partner’s use of personal data will be subject to appropriate confidentiality and security measures.
- Aggregated or de-identified information. We may share aggregated or de-identified information, which cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
Ads and Analytics Partners
Marketing Partners. We may provide a unique link to a marketing partner, for you to sign up to a product or service relevant to Stake. We disclose such relationships at the location where you are able to click on the link. We do not share your Stake account details with these partners. This means that we do not share your individual account browsing habits. Stake cannot see these partners’ cookies, and marketing partners will not see Stake cookies.
Analytics Partners. We use analytics partners (such as Google Analytics) to help analyze usage and traffic for our Services. As an example, we may use analytics partners to analyze and measure, in the aggregate, the number of unique visitors to the Website.
Your Options Regarding Personal Data
You have choices about how to protect and limit the collection, use, and disclosure of information about you.
- Opt-Out.You can opt-out of receiving any marketing communications from us at any time by contacting us or following the unsubscribe buttons at the bottom of electronic communications.
- Change Your Information. You can change or update your information with us at any time by contacting us, or through the tools we provide you to do so, located on your user dashboard.
- Deleting your Account.You may delete your account information at any time from the user preferences page. When you delete your account, your profile is no long visible to anyone. Please note, however, that the Asks you created and your support of Asks will remain visible to others, albeit without visible references to you.
- Access or Object to Use of Your Information. In addition to the opt-out and edit options, if you are in a country within the European Economic Area (EEA), you can request access to your information, and object to or seek to restrict our processing of your information in certain circumstances. Please note that you can always ask us to delete your information from all marketing communications or subscriptions at any time.
If you are in the European Economic Area, you have the right to request access to, rectification of, or erasure of your personal data; to data portability in certain circumstances; to request restriction of processing; to object to processing; and to withdraw consent for processing where you have previously provided consent. These rights can be exercised using the information provided under “Your Options” above. EEA users also have the right to lodge a complaint with their local supervisory authority.
Controlling Linked Services, Cookies, Analytics, Do not Track
- Controlling Analytics. Some analytics providers we partner with may provide specific opt-out mechanisms and we may provide, as needed and as available, additional tools and third-party services that allow you to better understand cookies and how you can opt-out. For example, you may manage the use and collection of certain information by Google Analytics.
- Do not Track. Most modern web browsers give you the option to send a Do Not Track signal to the websites you visit, indicating that you do not wish to be tracked. There is no accepted standard, however, for how a website should respond to this signal, and we do not take any action in response to this signal. Instead, in addition to publicly available third-party tools, we offer you the choices described in this policy to manage the collection and use of information about you.
We store the information we collect for as long as it is necessary for the purpose(s) for which we originally collected it. We may retain certain information for legitimate business purposes or as required by law.
The Website is intended for individuals over the age of 18 only. Individuals under the age of 18 may not create an account or otherwise access or use the Website.
We are based in the United States, and we process and store information on servers located in the United States. We may store information on servers and equipment in other countries depending on a variety of factors, including the locations of our users and service providers.